Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Basic Training

Basic Training ( written in basic training)


Where to begin.


I am in the lowest level of basic training, which still feels like a annoying nightmare minus the running.Granted, in reality it is not that hard in itself but I can't quite take everything seriously as I am older then the commanders and thus have a hard time putting up with all the 'discipline'. I have heard that the easier the basic training is the meaner they have to be to try and break us in as quickly as they can... i.e. make the israeli girls realize that they no longer rule the world.


But really why should one get a lecture about friendship when people who try and help each other and end up being 10 seconds late get severely punished. I know at the end of this they will tell us that we did well and we're ready for our future in the army. There will be an end ceremony where they will stick a pin on us like we've done something important. But really is being told to wash the showers for thirty girls in 3 minutes and 30 seconds and one mop really something to brag about.


Done!

Basic training ended up being a positive experience.... that I would never want to repeat again. Ever. Before I began I was frightened of Israeli girls as I had heard ( and seen) them being catty, bitchy, and unfriendly to strangers. However, this stereotype didn't prove to true with most of the girls and I ended up meeting some really kind wonderful people who were for some reason fascinated by me the 'foreigner'. We learned about the history of Israel, first aid, the army system, and also had shooting practice. We had to carry around an M-16 the whole time which I ended up growing rather attached to as we had to take it everywhere,even the showers. At the end of all this we had a ceremony where we swore allegiance to the country and were given a Tanach. To my surprise I won an award for best soldier and role model of my pluga ( group of 150 girls). I think it's because I looked like I was concentrating all the time... but really I was trying to figure out what the hell they were saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment