Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Army tour in West Bank





During my time at my base I have been privy to two tours of the West Bank. The first being the Israeli areas, and the second, a tour of several Arab villages.

I was taken on the first tour by my officer who, realizing my boredom, decided to get me out of the base. We drove around a great portion of the area while I looked at a map to spot the different settlements and arab villages we were passing. The West Bank really is beautiful, truly looks like the land our forefathers came to.

The second was a scouting trip to inspect the area where a road was planning to be built by an international organization for the Palestinians. We were accompanied by an archeologist, environmental expert, and 2 army hummers. I, having studied about Israel and the Palestinians was very excited to go to my first Arab village in the West Bank. Granted, I was not allowed to leave the car... I was however required to bring my bullet proof vest and helmet. As I was getting my bullet proof vest from under my bed I spotted the heels I brought from my kibbutz to wear for New Year's. It struck me as odd how many 'shoes' I am wearing these days, how many personas a person can have at once. I am still getting used to my new life as a soldier; wearing the uniform and army boots, riding in a bullet proof bus to base, and dealing with the language. But at this point I am glad I had to courage to follow my dreams and make the crazy choice to join the IDF.


P.s. I saw grass in both the Jewish and Palestinian areas, in case anyone was wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment