Monday, December 14, 2009

1st Garin Tzabar Seminar/Fliying to Israel

"I'm joining the IDF"

Upon saying this to people I usually get a blank stare... people don't exactly know what to make of this. I find that Americans are too nice to actually say what their thinking but this information is so out there that they usually just become silent while they think of some sort of polite response. Most of the people here are very liberal and the idea of joining an army, much less the IDF, is about the most militant evil thing somebody can do. I enjoy this moment of confusion. After a few seconds I save them from racking their brains too hard by assuring them that I want to make peace and go into a foreign liaison job.... not "carry an uzzie" as one person half heartedly muttered.
For the army I want to go through a program called Garin Tzabar which is basically a program that helps you through all the bureaucratic bullshit that is involved when moving to another country. They also help you get the job you want in the army. With this program there are 5 meetings with your "garin" group in America which are intended to give you information about the army, strengthen your Hebrew, ad help you bond with the people you are going to be living with. In the summer we all move to a Kibbutz in the north, do an ulpan, and get drafted in Nov.

Im very committed to this idea but we'll see what happens.

On the last day of the seminar I flew to Israel. While I hate flying, the actual airplane time wasn't that bad. I was just in finals so I'm basically able to pass out anywhere at this point. I also took an Ambien. That was helpful. The horrible part was the 7 hour wait in the Paris airport. WTF do you do in an airport for 7 hours. FINALLY, FINALLY I arrived in Israel. When I was exiting the plane there were two yeshiva bochers standing there passing out Sufganiot to people * loves this*I get past the endless line to check our passports only to find that they have lost all of my luggage, FML. I'm optomistic they will come today. They gave me a huge toilettries bag which seem more like a "we're sorry your bags are going to be lost for a week" present, but nevertheles I am in jerusalem so my mood can't be brought down.

No comments:

Post a Comment